The Xtravirt Managed Services (XMS) Engineer is a pivotal role in managing, optimising, and ensuring the security of our Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) utilising VMware Horizon, vSphere, and VCF technologies. Experience in Microsoft 365 will be a valuable asset, enhancing the holistic management and integration of our clients’ IT environments for business continuity and operational efficiency.
As a Managed Services Engineer at Xtravirt, you will:
- Monitor and manage user sessions and VMware Horizon infrastructure consistently.
- Optimise resource utilisation through effective session management.
- Ensure timely updates, patching, and maintenance of the VDI environment.
- Deliver detailed reporting on VDI usage, health, and security.
- Maintain integrity and performance of Horizon gold images and the broader VDI environment.
- Uphold a secure VDI environment through regular audits and updates.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Offer escalated support (3rd & 4th line) for complex issues, ensuring optimal performance and availability of the VDI environment.
- Conduct daily and monitoring of user sessions and VMware Horizon infrastructure.
- Manage active, idle, and disconnected sessions for optimal resource utilisation.
- Regularly update and manage patching for the VDI environment, scheduling during non-peak hours for minimal disruption, including all Horizon components and SQL databases.
- Provide governance and operational management of Horizon software configuration.
- Manage and monitor Horizon’s built-in failover capabilities, ensuring continuous service availability.
- Assist with application management and delivery within the VDI environment, offering guidance and governance.
- Generate and deliver weekly and monthly reports on VDI usage, health, and security.
- Address client queries and issues through the Service Desk and Service Management modules, providing timely resolutions and support.
- Certifications in VMware Horizon, VMware vSphere, and/or VMware VCF are preferred.
- Experience or certification in Microsoft Azure/M365 is beneficial.
- Proven experience in a similar role with a strong background in VMware technologies and VDI management.
- Exceptional problem-solving, analytical, and multitasking skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to upskill, with a solid understanding of virtualisation, cloud concepts, and Microsoft 365.
- Ability to adapt to a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Familairity with ticketing systems such as FreshService, Jira Service Desk or ServiceNow.
- Previous experience of tooling such as Hashicorp Packer, Hashicorp Vault, Pipelines (Jenkins, Codestream/Aria Pipelines) is desirable.
- Knowledge and experience of application deployment, scripting (powershell preferable) and group policy in VDI environments highly desirable.